Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Five Years After Katrina, New Orleanians Still Feel The Scars


Five years and I cannot make myself to return to the new New Orleans. The city I was born and raised in no longer exists. It is now heading towards gentrification and a rather timely land grab.



The educational system is a hodgepodge where if your alumni is weak the schools that educated generations of family and friends are discarded and some experimental school stuffed in its place.



My family still lives in New Orleans. It is in their blood. They have rebuilt homes that laid under 9 feet of nasty water. They have knitted together their lives and bear the pain of separation from their eldest member because there are no comparable services for seniors in New Orleans as is where we live now. They survive.



I shall always remember the day we left. We took only a few articles of clothes with the intent of staying in a motel some distance away from the hurricane. What we planned to be a couple of days away from home has turned out to be five years for me in a different region and five years of hard struggle for my siblings and their children in New Orleans.



The city I love is gone and a stranger rises in its place...slowly.
Read the Article at HuffingtonPost

No comments: