Friday, May 16, 2008

Glory Be! I've got a Job!

“Hold on, so you can hold out,” a church saying that has come to mean a lot to me. During my extended search for a job I got close to being offered jobs but, thank God I did not get those positions. They were not meant for me. What is for me is the position that was offered by Patrick F. Gavin Middle School, to fill their librarian position. Mr. Matthews, the Principal has high hopes and big dreams for the library. I do too. It is a perfect place to win readers to frequent and entice reluctant readers to read. I accepted the position because it also means reaching out to the community including them into the library too.

Gavin Middle is located in South Boston, an old line Irish community that is rapidly gentrifying. There is a nearby public housing development where I hope to do collaboration with a strong community based grassroots organization. However, now I need to setup a cataloging/circulation system as well as establish an online newsletter featuring: homework assignments, current school events and a list of vocabulary builders. I will also offer readers' advisories and best new websites as a lure to recruit students to use the library for homework assistance, and pleasure reading. I cannot wait to start!

Be assured that those of you in library and education fields I will be calling for ideas and information to make Gavin Middle School Library the heartbeat of the school!

No comments: